Sunday, December 27, 2009

Zucchini, Zucchini Everywhere!

With summer upon us, the first fruits are starting to become ready for the picking. And already we have plenty of zucchini.

One of my favorite ways to eat zucchini are in zucchini pancakes.

I probably got a recipe somewhere once upon a time, but now it's one of those things that I just make and it turns out slightly different each time.

First I grate a whole bunch of zucchini and put it in a colander and salt it. I leave it to drain a few hours (if I've thought well enough ahead). Then I add grated carrots and chopped onions (lots of onions) a few beated eggs, a few tablespoons of spelt flour (or whatever I have on hand), some nutmeg and herbamare. Mix it well. You don't want it to be really liquidy or it will fall apart.

I heat up a big stainless steal skillet and melt some oil. Usually I use coconut oil for frying but here on the community there is an abundance of tallow, and nobody else likes to use it, so I'm using tallow more for frying. I don't know where I would get it back in Canada. It smells not so nice when it's frying but the pancakes tasted great.



Fry on both sides, if it turns out well you should have a nice golden pancake. If it's too liquidy it turns into mush. I've often given up and had the cake stir-fried. These turned out quite nicely though.

They are great served with raw yogurt (homemade!) or at least yogurt make with raw milk (recipe to come).

No comments:

Post a Comment